Samstag, Januar 30, 2010

An excinting week!

Our Pax tour (with all the exchange students, our local coordinator and some family members) this months was going to D.C. last wednesday. So I slept over at Amaia's house cause her host mom came with us and could drive. I was really looking forward to this day and it was awesome. First we went into



to see the red, green, blue and many other rooms. I couldn't believe that they actually still use these rooms when they're open to visitors. But when there are no visitors the carpets get rolled out and Obama can welcome guests and give speeches. They sill had the stage there from last monday. So this and the fact that some American visitors said that they've seen these rooms on the news before made me believe that they still use some of the rooms we saw. But I couldn't take my camera with me to take pictures. The situation reminded me on my visit of the US consul in Berlin to get my visa. You can't take anything with you and there is no storing place.
For lunch we went to the old post office where we also went on top of the bell tower to get a great view over D.C. Yeah I got an opportunity to get my camera out of the car :)




After that we got tickets to get on top of the















(okay i help you with that - washington monument)
So we got a second amazing view ofter the capital of the United States. We were told that usually it is really difficult to get tickets cause it is not open all the time and if you'd have to wait in line forever. Well, we didn't. Probably cause it was really cold an windy outside, but the sun was still shining. It was just awesome :) and we had so much fun (and no school).



When I slept over at Amaias the night before one of the movies we watched was "Freaky Friday". Some of you might konw it and I've seen it in Germany before. But know as I've been here in America for about 6 months I recognized different things. That was even funnier. The scantron tests, the attitude in class and the family has the same car than Nelsons have. :D

Thursday was the second exciting day of the week. Again with out school. From my markting class (DECA) we had district competitions this day. Last week we had to take a multiple choice tests and today we went to the mall where we had the second part of the competition; role plays. I participated in the category for the new students: "Principles of Marketing" which included the categories customer relations and economics. Everyone had to dress up in professional clothes. We were soooo nervous. And when I went with Leah to the store were our role play was supposed to be, the store was closed. We were almost freaking out! In the end we started 40 min late but the positive side of that was that I had to wait so long that I wasn't even nervous anymore when it was my turn. But I couldn't stop smiling :D When I got my paper to prepare I was abit confused cause I had no plan at all what half of these stupid business-marketing words ment. Also the situation in the roleplay was completely different from the situation we had praticed in class. Instead of letting me presenting my stuff the judge kept asking me questions. I felt kinda dump cause he kept asking the same question just reworded over and over again. So I thought my answer was wrong but I thought it was just logically and had no other idea. In the end his last question was: "What country are you originally from?" :D My accent! But even though he confused me with his strange questions he must have liked me since he placed me second for the rool play (out of about 16 students I think). I didn't expect that at all. The award ceremony was at 4 pm so we spent the whole day walking through the stores. Some of my friends moved on to stated cause they came in first, second, or third overall in their category. Well I wasn't one of these in my category and at states they don't even have this category.
But the next day continued even more surprising. During the morning anouncements they called about 10 students to the room of my marketing teacher. There she told us that we're going to states. We didn't qualify directly the day before but we all placed 4th overall in our category so they take us with them for the team competitions. She is so into this whole DECA thing that she doesn't even really give us an option not to go. I was really unsure about the whole thing but also Ally and Stefanie, who qualified the day before, expect me to come with them. So I think I might do that. Now I just gotta get more professional business cloths cause for my teacher even khaki dress pants are not professional enought. She's really conservative about that. But Patrice is so excited about that that she'll go shopping with me and I might be able to borrow some cloths.

Last night Ally, Becca and I went to ihop to eat dinner together. All you can eat pancakes :D I love it! But please don't compare American pancakes with the German Pfannkuchen. Tomorrow we might go and see a movie. Do you have the movie "When in Rome" in Germany?

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen